© Anson Smart
Winter Squash Soup with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
Chef Susur Lee is renowned for his creative, complex, pumpkin seeds.
More Warming Soups
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 quart water
- 4 pounds kabocha or butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salted roasted pumpkin seeds, honey and diced cucumber, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the stock and water and bring to a boil. Add the squash, cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the pot, bring to a simmer and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Garnish with the pumpkin seeds, a drizzle of honey and the cucumber.
Make AheadThe soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
Vouvray, with its classic apple aroma, is ideal for this velvety soup.