- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon walnut oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 small head of red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- One 8-ounce head of escarole, white and light green leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- Thinly sliced candy-striped beets, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 8 to 10 minutes, until fragrant. Let cool.
In a blender, puree the cooled walnuts with the water until smooth. Add the vinegar and pulse to combine. Using a fine-mesh sieve set over a small bowl, strain the walnuts, pressing on the solids; discard the solids. Whisk in the olive and walnut oils and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a serving bowl, combine the lettuce, escarole and beets. Add the vinaigrette and toss well; serve.
The dressing can be refrigerated overnight.