- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 10 dried apricots, minced
- 10 pitted prunes, minced
- 3 large dried Calimyrna figs, stems removed and minced
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Toast the oats and almonds on separate baking sheets in the oven for about 7 minutes, or until golden. Let cool.
- In an ovenproof saucepan, bring the apricots, prunes, figs and apple juice to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and shimmer for 5 minutes. Transfer the saucepan to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Let cool. Lower the oven temperature to 350°.
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the butter, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add the oats and mix until the butter is distributed. Add the molasses and vanilla and mix until a dough forms. Shape the dough into a disk, cover with plastic and refrigerate until chilled, or for up to 2 days.
- Lightly coat a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Press the oatmeal dough in the bottom of the pan to a 1/4-inch thickness. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly, then remove the sides of the pan. Invert the crust onto a plate and peel off the parchment.
- Cut the oatmeal crust into 12 wedges. spoon the fruit compote into a bowl, sprinkle with the almonds and serve with the oatmeal wedges.
One Serving: Calories 153 kcal, Protein 3 gm, Carbohydrate 26 gm, Cholesterol 8 mg, Total Fat 4.6 gm, Saturated Fat 2 gm.