© Quentin Bacon
Winter Apple Gratin
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 large Fuji or Jonagold apples?peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons applejack or other brandy
- Yogurt Sorbet
- Preheat the broiler. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the apple wedges in a single layer and sprinkle them with the brown sugar. Cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until lightly browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook over high heat until the juices evaporate and the apples are glazed, about 3 minutes. Spread the apples in a single layer in a 10-inch glass pie plate or in individual gratin dishes.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks with the granulated sugar and applejack. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes; do not boil. Pour the custard over the apples and broil until it is lightly browned on top and set, about 2 minutes. Serve hot, with the Yogurt Sorbet.
Notes One Serving Calories 211 kcal, Total Fat 6.4 gm, Saturated Fat 2.5 gm, Protein 2 gm, Carbohydrates 36 gm.
For a warm apple dessert, search out a sweet or semisweet white wine, such as a young Sauternes or an Anjou Coteaux de la Loire.