Wilted Autumn Greens with Syrah Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Syrah or Zinfandel
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small beet (2 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces baguette, cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces watercress, large stems discarded
- 2 ounces arugula
- 2 ounces spinach, stemmed
- 2 ounces small kale leaves, stems and tough ribs removed
- 1 large Belgian endive (6 ounces), cored and cut crosswise 1 inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, boil the wine over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots, 1 garlic clove, the beet and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Add the remaining 1 clove of garlic, then add the watercress, arugula, spinach, kale and endive. Toss over moderate heat until just wilted, about 40 seconds. Add the wine mixture, toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad in bowls, top with the croutons and serve.
Make AheadThe recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead through Step 2. Refrigerate the wine mixture. Keep the croutons in an airtight container at room temperature.
NotesOne Serving 308 calories, 15.8 gm total fat, 2.4 gm saturated fat, 34 gm carb.