Wild Striped Bass with Scallions and Herb Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News "As a new mom, I'm trying to eat more fish as a healthy source of protein," Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan says. To know which seafood is sustainable and safe for the environment, she consults the Blue Ocean Institute's Guide to Ocean Friendly Seafood (blueocean.org). In late spring, she often pairs fish with a fresh herb salad. "I make this salad when my herbs start growing," she says. "It's a good excuse to cut them back so they'll flourish."
- 12 scallions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Four 6-ounce skinless wild striped bass fillets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dill, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, very coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup snipped chives
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Discard the first 2 inches of the green scallion tops. Cut the scallions in half crosswise and thinly slice them lengthwise into strips.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the scallions and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the scallions are tender and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Season the bass with salt and pepper and transfer the fillets to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with the scallions and sprinkle with the lemon zest. Dot each fillet with a piece of the butter. Pour the orange juice over or around the fish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for about 16 minutes, until the fish is just opaque.
- Just before serving, in a medium bowl, whisk the walnut oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the herbs and toss to coat. Transfer the fish to plates and spoon the juices on top. Serve the herb salad alongside.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.