- 3 cups Vegetable Stock or water
- 1 cup wild rice (about 6 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the Vegetable Stock to a boil. Add the wild rice, garlic, oregano, thyme and bay leaf and return to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the wild rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Drain any excess liquid, return the wild rice to the pan and discard the bay leaf. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Transfer the wild rice to a bowl and stir in the grapes, scallions and feta. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the almonds and serve.
One Serving Calories 146 kcal, Protein 5 gm, Carbohydrate 26 gm, Cholesterol 0, Total Fat 3.4 gm, Saturated Fat .3 gm.