Wild Rice with Escarole
- SERVINGS: 10
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 3 quarts cold water
- 2 1/2 cups (14 ounces) wild rice
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Two 1 1/2-pound heads escarole, cored, leaves separated
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the cold water to a boil. Add the wild rice and a large pinch of salt, cover and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the rice.
- In a bowl, soak the currants in the hot water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the escarole leaves until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and let cool. Squeeze the escarole dry and coarsely chop it.
- Heat the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the escarole and currants and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wild rice and cook until warmed through. Stir in the lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Make AheadThe recipe can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated overnight.
NotesOne Serving Calories 224 kcal, Total Fat 6.3 gm, Saturated Fat 0.9 gm.