- 1 1/2 cups wild rice (10 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 pound smoked ham, diced
- 4 small scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce
- Fill a large saucepan three-quarters full of water and bring to a boil. Add the wild rice and 1 tablespoon of salt and simmer over moderate heat until the rice is tender and most of the grains have just split, 50 minutes. Drain and rinse the rice under cold water, then drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, curry powder, cumin and cayenne. Add the olive oil and whisk until combined. Toss in the chickpeas, ham, scallions, raisins and wild rice. Season the salad with salt, pepper and hot sauce, transfer to a bowl and serve.
The salad can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature and toss before serving.
The mixture of ham, raisins, and curry will find echoes in a spicy Gewürztraminer from Washington State or California.