- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed fresh mushrooms, tough stems removed, mushrooms cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 1-pound loaf of peasant bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice and toasted until dry
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- In a large nonreactive skillet, melt 5 tablespoons of the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned. Stir in the shallots, garlic, celery, onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the thyme. Cook until all the vegetables are softened slightly. Stir in the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Add 2 cups of the Chicken Stock and simmer over moderate heat until the liquid reduces and thickens, about 13 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the toasted bread to the bowl along with the remaining 3 cups stock and 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Stir in the cream and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the eggs and mix well. Spoon the stuffing into a buttered 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Cover the stuffing with foil and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 30 minutes longer, or until the top is golden and crisp and the stuffing is firm. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.