- 6 slices bread, cut from a long country or sourdough loaf
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Wild Mushroom Ragout
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 minute, until toasted. Flip the bread, sprinkle with the Parmesan and a pinch of paprika and broil for 1 minute longer, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and toasted.
- Meanwhile, puree 1 cup of the mushroom ragout in a blender until smooth. Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan. Add the remaining mushroom ragout, the chicken stock and peas and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Season the soup with salt and pepper and transfer to shallow bowls. Garnish with the chives and serve with the Parmesan toasts.
More Saucy Ideas: The ragout can be stirred into pasta or risotto, folded into omelets, spooned onto crostini or poured over polenta.