Wild Mushroom Ragout
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, oysters and shiitake, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy or Cognac
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- In a large deep skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over moderately high heat until softened, 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing, until browned, about 15 minutes. Add the brandy; simmer until evaporated. Add the broth and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced by half. Add the cream and cook until slightly reduced, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chives.
Serve With Pasta, polenta or grilled steak, pork or lamb.
A smooth, lighter-style Italian white, like a Chardonnay, with earthy overtones will echo the woodsy flavor of the mushrooms in this sauce.