Wild Mushroom Ragout
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, oysters and shiitake, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy or Cognac
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- In a large deep skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over moderately high heat until softened, 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, tossing, until browned, about 15 minutes. Add the brandy; simmer until evaporated. Add the broth and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced by half. Add the cream and cook until slightly reduced, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chives.
A smooth, lighter-style Italian white, like a Chardonnay, with earthy overtones will echo the woodsy flavor of the mushrooms in this sauce.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.