Wild Mushroom and Goat Cheese Omelets
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thickly sliced
- 3 medium shallots, very finely chopped
- 6 ounces pea shoots
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 dozen large eggs
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 225°. In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shiitake and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 7 minutes. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pea shoots, season with salt and pepper and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Keep warm.
- Crack 6 eggs into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper and beat with a whisk. In a 10-inch, nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Whisk the eggs again and add them to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat, lifting the edges with a spatula to allow the uncooked eggs to seep underneath, until the bottom of the omelet is golden and the top is nearly set, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon one-third of the filling down the center of the omelet and sprinkle with one-third of the goat cheese. Using a rubber spatula, fold the sides over the filling to enclose it completely. Slide the omelet onto a large heatproof plate and cut it in half; serve immediately or transfer it to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining butter, eggs and filling to make 2 more omelets. Serve at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.