Wild Berry Compote
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 3 CUPS
The compote is best eaten the day it is made. Substitution: Get hold of some wild berries if you can, but this is a good treatment for any berry.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups mixed wild berries, such as huckleberries, currants, raspberries and blueberries
- Sour cream or crème fraîche, for serving (optional)
- In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and 1 cup of water. Boil over moderately high heat until reduced to a thick, clear syrup, about 15 minutes. Gently stir in the berries and cook until they start to break up, about 2 minutes. Pour the compote into a bowl; let cool to room temperature. Serve with sour cream.