- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (one 16-ounce can)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and then the lamb. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin, tomatoes, and salt. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti until just done, about 15 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce, pepper, and mint.
The spiciness of the cumin, the earthiness of the whole-wheat spaghetti, and the gaminess of the lamb are best with a full-bodied, slightly rough red wine such as a Côtes-du-Rhône from the southern part of France.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.