- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups tomato sauce, heated
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Cut or pound the chicken breasts into 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
In large bowl, beat the eggs and set aside. In another large bowl, mix together the whole-wheat flour and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Dip the chicken in egg and then dredge to coat with the flour-cheese mixture. Shake off the excess and set coated chicken pieces aside. Repeat for the remaining chicken.
Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet. After the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, turning once, cooking until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
To serve, top the cooked chicken with hot tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Garnish with parsley.