- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the cheddar cheese. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size pieces remaining. Mix in the buttermilk, stirring, just until the dough holds together.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 7 1/2-inch square that's 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into nine 2 1/2-inch squares and transfer the squares to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake the biscuits for about 12 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let the biscuits cool slightly and serve.