Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 9
Chef Lance Gummere makes these incredible biscuits with just a little bit of cheddar cheese to give them a savory flavor.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in the cheddar cheese. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea-size pieces remaining. Mix in the buttermilk, stirring, just until the dough holds together.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 7 1/2-inch square that's 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into nine 2 1/2-inch squares and transfer the squares to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake the biscuits for about 12 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let the biscuits cool slightly and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.