- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons ground dried sage
- 2 chipotles in adobo, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives, plus more for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the 3/4 cup of buttermilk just until a raggy dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead just until it comes together. Roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick and stamp out four 3-inch rounds. Gather the scraps and reroll; stamp out 2 more rounds. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet and brush the tops with buttermilk. Bake for 20 minutes, until the biscuits are risen.
- In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the turkey; cook over moderately high heat, breaking it up, until browned, 5 minutes. Stir in the sage, chipotles, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and the flour; cook for 1 minute. Add the milk and simmer, stirring, until thick, 5 minutes. Add the 2 tablespoons of chives.
- Split the biscuits, top with gravy, garnish with chives and serve.