- Four head-on 1- to 1 1/2-pound red snappers, cleaned
- 1 Scotch bonnet chile, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 large scallions, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- One 1/2-inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
How to make this recipe
Make 3 crosswise slashes down to the bone on each side of each fish. In a food processor, process the chile, scallions, garlic, shallot, ginger, thyme, salt, brown sugar, allspice, pepper and cinnamon until a coarse paste forms. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, the rum, lime juice, water and soy sauce and puree.
Arrange the fish in a shallow dish. Stuff the cavities and slashes with the seasoning; refrigerate for 1 hour.
Light a grill. If using fish baskets, lightly brush with oil and place the fish inside. If using a fish grate, preheat it and lightly brush with oil. Grill the fish over a medium-hot fire until cooked through, 8 minutes per side. Serve at once.