- 16 partially boned quail, legs removed and reserved
- 3 jalapeños, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 thin slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill, preferably charcoal. Lay the quail breasts, skin side down, on a work surface. Set a slice of jalapeño and a few slices of onion in the center of each breast. Season with salt and pepper and fold the breasts together to enclose the filling. Wrap a slice of bacon around each breast and secure with a wooden toothpick.
- In a small bowl, combine the molasses, olive oil and vinegar. Brush the stuffed quail and the legs with the glaze and sprinkle with the cornmeal. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the quail breasts over a medium-hot fire, turning, until crisp and medium rare, about 9 minutes. Grill the legs, turning, until browned, about 4 minutes. Serve hot off the grill.