- 16 partially boned quail, legs removed and reserved
- 3 jalapeños, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 thin slices of bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
How to make this recipe
Light a grill, preferably charcoal. Lay the quail breasts, skin side down, on a work surface. Set a slice of jalapeño and a few slices of onion in the center of each breast. Season with salt and pepper and fold the breasts together to enclose the filling. Wrap a slice of bacon around each breast and secure with a wooden toothpick.
In a small bowl, combine the molasses, olive oil and vinegar. Brush the stuffed quail and the legs with the glaze and sprinkle with the cornmeal. Season with salt and pepper.
Grill the quail breasts over a medium-hot fire, turning, until crisp and medium rare, about 9 minutes. Grill the legs, turning, until browned, about 4 minutes. Serve hot off the grill.