- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook over moderate heat, whisking frequently, until the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Use at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.