White Gazpacho with Shrimp
- SERVINGS: 4
From Terrance Brennan, a 1995 Best New Chef, now at Picholine and Artisanal in New York City.
- 6 slices white sandwich bread, crusts discarded, bread torn into pieces
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds (6 ounces), chopped
- 3/4 cup seedless green grapes
- 1/2 medium European cucumberpeeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water. In another bowl, combine the bread, almonds, grapes, cucumber and garlic with the water, oil and vinegar. Working in batches, puree the mixture in a blender, then strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl set in the ice bath. Stir the soup until chilled; season with salt and cayenne. Reserve the ice bath.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the shrimp until opaque, about 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice bath until chilled. Drain well, pat dry and cut into quarters crosswise.
- Ladle the soup into chilled bowls. Garnish with the shrimp, tomato, celery and cilantro and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.