- 1 cup dried cannellini or Great Northern beans, picked over, rinsed, soaked overnight in cold water and drained
- 3 quarts rich chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 pound farfalle pasta
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated imported Pecorino cheese, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, cover the beans with enough water to reach 2 inches above them and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 30 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt and cook until the beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Drain the beans.
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the farfalle pasta and cook over high heat until barely al dente, about 12 minutes. Add the asparagus pieces and beans and cook until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the peas, chopped parsley, mint, thyme, oregano, lemon zest and lemon juice. Simmer until the vegetables are just tender and the pasta is al dente, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve, passing the cheese at the table.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.