- 1 pound Great Northern beans—picked over, rinsed, and soaked overnight in cold water
- 12 cups Chicken Stock or 6 cups canned low-sodium broth mixed with 6 cups water
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- Bouquet garni made with 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, 2 fresh thyme sprigs and 1 bay leaf, tied in cheesecloth
- 2 meaty smoked ham hocks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Drain the beans and rinse them thoroughly. Put the beans in a large pot, add the Chicken Stock, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bouquet garni and ham hocks and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover partially and simmer over moderate heat until the beans are tender, about 1 3/4 hours. Transfer the ham hocks to a plate; discard the bouquet garni.
- Pass the beans through a food mill and return the puree to the soup pot. Season with salt and pepper. Pull all the meat from the ham hocks and shred it into bite-size pieces; add the meat to the soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well and stir in the parsley just before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.