White Bean Dip with Herbs
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 cups dip
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- Two 19-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cayenne pepper
- Pita chips, for serving
- In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the garlic, sage and rosemary and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until fragrant and the garlic is just beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add the beans and toss to coat.
- Transfer the cannellini beans to a food processor. Add the water, season with salt and cayenne and process to a fairly smooth puree. Transfer the dip to a small serving bowl, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top and serve with pita chips.
Drizzling a high-quality olive oil over this dip will add depth and complexity, but stick with a less-expensive supermarket brand when sautéing the garlic and herbs in Step 1.
Any canned white beans can be used in place of the cannellini.