White Bean and Swiss Chard Bruschetta
- SERVINGS: makes 20 hors d'oeuvres
Wilted Swiss chard makes an elegant topping for this truffle-scented bruschetta, or you can substitute large spinach leaves.
- Twenty 1/4-inch-thick slices cut diagonally from a baguette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked white beans, such as cannellini, rinsed if canned
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Swiss chard, leaves only, coarsely chopped and rinsed but not dried
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white truffle oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush lightly on both sides with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. With the machine on, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet and set it over moderately high heat. Add the Swiss chard and stir until wilted. Transfer to a colander and let cool slightly, then squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the Swiss chard and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until heated through.
- Spread each toast with about 1 tablespoon of the warm bean puree and top with some of the Swiss chard. Drizzle lightly with some of the truffle oil and serve warm or at room temperature.
A soft, toasty Champagne, balanced by crisp acidity, such as the nonvintage Champagne de Venoge, is ideal with the richness of the white beans, the earthiness of the truffle oil and the sweetness of the onion.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.