White Bean and Squid Salad with Marjoram
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 9 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced marjoram
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds cleaned small squid
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with 4 inches of cold water. Stick the cloves into the onion and add it to the saucepan, along with the garlic and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until the beans are tender, about 45 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and simmer for 5 minutes longer. Let the beans cool in the liquid for 30 minutes, then drain. Discard the onion, bay leaves and garlic.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice and lemon zest with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the beans, red onion and marjoram and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, light a charcoal grill. In a bowl, toss the squid with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the crushed red pepper. Grill the squid over high heat until charred and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer the squid to a work surface. Cut the bodies into 1/2-inch rings and the tentacles in half. Add the squid to the beans, toss and serve.
Look for a refreshing and creamy white, such as a Pinot Blanc from Oregon or Pinot Bianco from Italy.