White Anchovy and Crisp Pita Bread Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Large chunks of toasted pita stay delightfully crunchy in this bread salad, laced with white anchovies and topped with a garlicky sour cream dressing.
- 12 marinated white anchovies, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Two 6-inch pita breads, split into 4 rounds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 large Belgian endives, cored and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the pitas on a baking sheet, rough sides up, and spread each round with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Bake for about 8 minutes, until crisp. Let cool and break into large pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, steep the shallot in the vinegar for 5 minutes. Stir in the olive oil, then add the sour cream and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the endives with the anchovies and toasted pita. Add the sour cream dressing and toss well. Spoon onto 4 plates and serve.
White anchovies are terrific with cava, Spain's earthy, affordable sparkling wine.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.