- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whisky
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1 pound tender young parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter with the whisky and brown sugar. Stir in the carrots and parsnips. Press a round of parchment paper directly onto the vegetables. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender and the liquid is almost evaporated, 15 minutes. Uncover and cook, tossing, until the vegetables are coated in a thick syrup, 1 to 2 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and serve.