© Ditte Isager
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Matt Lewis is enamored of fondue—in fact, he had a special pot made for dessert fondues at his former Manhattan shop, Chocolate Bar. His terrific cheddar-Jack cheese fondue includes whiskey, which adds a great kick.
Slideshow: Cooking with Cheese
- 1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons whiskey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread, breadsticks and carrot sticks, for serving
- In a bowl, toss the cheddar and Jack cheeses with the cornstarch. Rub the garlic cloves on the inside of a saucepan, then discard. Add the wine to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the cheese mixture in 4 batches, whisking constantly over moderate heat and letting it melt completely between additions. Add the whiskey and stir just until the fondue begins to bubble, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; serve hot with bread, breadsticks and carrots.