Whipped Yukon Gold Potatoes
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
These potatoes from Ad Hoc have a wonderfully fluffy texture because they're passed through a ricer or food mill to make them especially airy. But they're also nicely rich, thanks to generous amounts of butter and heavy cream.
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Cook over moderate heat for 1 minute, shaking the pot to dry the potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the cream. Working over the saucepan, pass the hot potatoes through a ricer or food mill. Stir with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the chives.