© Anna Williams
- 5 pounds medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 pound shallots, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Pierce the sweet potatoes with the tip of a knife and bake for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Turn the oven down to 250°.
- Slit the skins and scoop the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the butter and cardamom and beat with an electric mixer at low speed until smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and white pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
- In a large deep skillet, heat 1 inch of oil until shimmering. Add half of the shallots and fry over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining shallots. Scatter the shallots over the sweet potatoes and serve.
Make Ahead The recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store the shallots in an airtight container. Rewarm and rewhip the potatoes; recrisp the shallots in the oven if necessary.