- 5 pounds medium to large sweet potatoes
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 pound shallots, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Pierce the sweet potatoes with the tip of a knife and bake for about 40 minutes, or until tender. Turn the oven down to 250°.
- Slit the skins and scoop the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the butter and cardamom and beat with an electric mixer at low speed until smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and white pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
- In a large deep skillet, heat 1 inch of oil until shimmering. Add half of the shallots and fry over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with the remaining shallots. Scatter the shallots over the sweet potatoes and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.