- 1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 2 large sweet onions (about 1 pound each), sliced 1/4 inch thick and
separated into rings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
In a large bowl, whisk the milk with 1/2 cup of the flour and the adobo sauce until smooth. Add the onion rings and toss to moisten with the mixture.
In a cast-iron skillet, heat the oil to 350°. In a large paper bag, combine the remaining 1 cup of flour with the cornmeal, cumin and 1/2 tablespoon salt. Working in batches, dredge the onions in the cornmeal mixture, shaking off the excess. Transfer to a baking sheet.
Working in batches, fry the onion rings in the hot oil until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt and serve immediately.