- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 large garlic clove, lightly smashed
- 1 3/4 pounds yellow wax beans, stem ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium heads of radicchiohalved, cored and finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the hazelnuts in a small pan for about 15 minutes, or until they are fragrant and the skins blister. Transfer the nuts to a dish towel and rub them together to remove the skins. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of salt and the beans and boil the beans until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain the beans and garlic and rinse with cold water, then drain again and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the beans into 2-inch lengths.
- Mash the cooked garlic to a paste and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and then the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the beans with the radicchio, parsley and dressing. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the hazelnuts and serve.
The beans and dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight. The nuts can stand at room temperature.