- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One 8-pound seedless watermelon, scooped into balls with a melon baller or cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (10 cups), chilled
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled (2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt, Tabasco and pepper. Add the watermelon, feta, olives and onion and toss gently. Garnish with the mint and serve.
Although Pepin cuts a small, seedless watermelon into rounds with a melon baller (adding the trimmings to the salad, too, so as not to waste them), you can also chop the watermelon into cubes.
For the ultimate summer pitcher drink, try a rose sangria.