Watermelon-Lime Frozen Agua Fresca
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
Fanny Singer has always had an infatuation with frozen fruit. (The pastry cooks at Chez Panisse used to freeze raspberries for her; she stuck one on each finger and then ate them.) So it's only natural that she makes an icy drink with one of her favorite fruits, watermelon. This agua fresca has the consistency of a frozen margarita.
Plus: Ultimate Cocktail Guide
- 1/2 large seedless watermelon, rind removed, flesh cut into 1-inch dice (10 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (5 limes)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark rum, preferably Jamaican
- Put 9 cups of the watermelon cubes on a rimmed baking sheet, wrap with plastic and freeze until solid, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, freeze 6 highball glasses. Chill the remaining 1 1/2 cups of watermelon.
- In a blender, combine half of the chilled watermelon with half of the frozen watermelon and half of the lime juice, sugar and rum. Blend until smooth. Pour into 3 of the frozen glasses. Repeat with the remaining chilled and frozen watermelon, lime juice, sugar and rum. Serve the agua fresca at once.