© Maura McEvoy
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES 2 1/2 QUARTS
Bronson Van Wyck borrowed this recipe from his friend Susan Mason, a caterer in Savannah, Georgia. It's potent and refreshing.
Plus: Ultimate Cocktail Guide
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 cups white rum
- 4 cups seedless watermelon chunks (one-quarter of a watermelon)
- 8 cups crushed ice
- Watermelon spears and mint sprigs, for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a blender, combine half of the sugar syrup with half of the lime juice, rum and watermelon chunks and blend until combined. Add half of the ice and blend until smooth, then pour into a large pitcher. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Serve in chilled glasses, garnished with watermelon spears and topped with mint sprigs.
Make Ahead The watermelon mixture can be blended earlier in the day and refrigerated. Blend with ice just before serving.