Watermelon and Squid Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
More Seafood Recipes
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup Champagne vinegar
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound baby squid, bodies and tentacles separated but left whole
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped tarragon
- 1/3 cup chopped mint
- 1 small seedless watermelon (about 3 1/2 pounds)halved, rind removed, flesh sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Ground sumac, for sprinkling (optional, see Note)
- In a bowl, whisk the rice vinegar, Champagne vinegar, scallions, jalapeños, 2 teaspoons of the lime zest and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, toss the squid with the oil, orange zest, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of lime zest; season with salt and pepper. Grill the squid over high heat until lightly charred, 4 minutes.
- Arrange the watermelon slices on a platter. Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with the tarragon and mint. Top the watermelon with the squid, sprinkle with sumac and serve right away.
Find sumac at specialty food stores or kalustyans.com
One Serving 184 cal, 6 gm fat, 1 gm sat fat, 21 gm carb, 1 gm fiber, 13 gm protein.
Beer Tangy wheat ale: Avery White Rascal.
Wine Fruit-forward California Chardonnay.