Watermelon and Arugula Salad with Walnuts
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
"In my hometown of Orosei, bitter greens like arugula and dandelion grow alongside watermelons, so this salad is a natural combination for me," says chef Efisio Farris. The recipe is a fabulous blend of juicy (watermelon) and crunchy (red onions and walnuts). For anyone who thinks raspberry vinegar went out with the '90s, this fruity vinaigrette will be a revelation.
- 3 pounds watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded ricotta salata
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss the watermelon with the red onion. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Add the arugula to the watermelon. In a small bowl, combine the orange and lime juices and vinegar. Pour the dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper. Top with the ricotta salata and walnuts; drizzle with the olive oil and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.