Warm White Bean and Calamari Salad with Garlic Bruschetta
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 cups dried cannellini or Great Northern beans (about 3/4 pound), soaked overnight in cold water and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/4 pounds cleaned small squid, bodies cut into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 large sage leaves, chopped
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian plum tomatoes—drained, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Toasted slices of country bread, rubbed with garlic and olive oil
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with 2 quarts of water and add the garlic. Bring to a boil, then cook the beans over moderate heat until barely tender, 30 minutes. Season with salt. Continue cooking until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the beans; reserve 1 1/2 cups of their cooking liquid. Discard the garlic.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the squid and sage and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the squid whitens, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and crushed red pepper and season with salt. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, 20 minutes. Add the beans and their reserved cooking liquid and simmer until the squid is tender and the sauce becomes a thick gravy, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in the parsley.
- Spoon the salad onto plates, drizzle with olive oil and serve with the garlic bruschetta.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.