Warm Wheat Berry and Quinoa Salad
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 1/2 cups wheat berries (about 3/4 pound), rinsed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups beef stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup quinoa (6 ounces), rinsed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the wheat berries and onion with 3 1/2 cups of the stock and 1 teaspoon of salt; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the wheat berries are tender but chewy, about 1 hour. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa with 2 cups of the stock and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and stir. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes, then add to the wheat berries.
- Stir the remaining 1/2 cup of stock into the grain mixture if it seems dry. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.