- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup wheat berries (7 ounces), soaked overnight and drained or quick-soaked (see Note.
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- One 7-ounce jar imported tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup green olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the carrot, onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until slightly softened, 5 minutes. Add the wheat berries, chicken broth and water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook over moderately high heat until the wheat berries are tender, 30 minutes. Drain well and return the wheat berries and vegetables to the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice into the wheat berries. Fold in the tuna, olives, arugula and fennel. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm or at room temperature.
One Serving 284 cal, 30 gm carb, 12 gm fat, 1.8 gm sat fat, 16 gm protein, 5 gm fiber.
Cover the grains with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, let stand for 1 hour, then drain.
Full-bodied Spanish white.