- 1 cup walnuts (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 pound red cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces ricotta salata cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 2 cups Thyme-Scented Short-Grain Brown Rice
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 12 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
In a large skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the onion and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is barely wilted, 6 minutes. Add the thyme and the water, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and the water has evaporated, 20 minutes. Stir in the Thyme-Scented Short-Grain Brown Rice, <em>ricotta salata</em> and toasted walnuts. Transfer to a bowl and serve.