- 1 cup barley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan of boiling water, cook the barley until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and barley and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with scallions.