- 2 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp—shelled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pound cleaned squid, bodies cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings and tentacles left whole
- In a mortar, pound the anchovies with the pistachios, capers, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until fairly smooth. Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook until just white throughout, about 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl. Add the squid to the saucepan and cook until just firm, about 20 seconds. Drain the squid and transfer them to the bowl.
- Add the pistachio dressing to the bowl with the seafood and toss to coat. Mound the salad on plates and serve.
The pistachio dressing can be made up to 4 hours ahead and kept at room temperature.
Liguria, famed for its seafood, is also known for its fresh, lively white wines, an ideal accompaniment to this piquant shrimp and squid salad. The principal grapes to know are Vermentino and Pigato, both full of citrus and mineral notes.