Warm Lobster Salad with Gazpacho Consommé
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN PLUS 4 HR TO DRAIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 dashes of Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Two 1 1/2-pound live lobsters
- 4 thick asparagus spears
- 1/4 pound thin green beans
- 2 tablespoons late-harvest Riesling or other sweet white dessert wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, peeled and very thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup celery leaves
- 2 cups mixed baby greens, preferably micro greens
- In a food processor, puree the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, red onion, garlic, basil, vinegar, Tabasco and salt. Line a colander with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth and then with a layer of dampened coffee filters. Set the colander over a deep bowl. Pour the puree into the colander and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. You should have about 3 cups of clear liquid in the bowl. Discard the puree.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the lobsters just until they turn bright red, 8 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the lobsters to a bowl and let cool.
- Twist off the lobster claws and remove the meat in 1 piece. Twist off the tails; using scissors, cut down the soft underside and remove the tail meat in 1 piece. Split the tail meat lengthwise; remove and discard the dark intestinal veins. Put all of the lobster meat on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus and beans until barely tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and let cool. Thinly slice the asparagus and beans on a diagonal.
- In a small bowl, whisk the Riesling with the lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the lobster meat with 2 tablespoons of the Riesling dressing and bake for about 3 minutes, or until just heated through.
- Arrange the asparagus, beans, scallions and sliced celery in the center of 4 shallow bowls, mounding them slightly. Carefully pour about 3/4 cup of the consommé around the vegetables in each bowl. In a small bowl, toss the baby greens and celery leaves with the remaining Riesling dressing. Set the warmed lobster on the vegetables, top with the dressed greens and serve.
A round, luscious Chardonnay without much oak will showcase the mild poached lobster here. Consider a Chablis.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.