- 16 ears of corn, shucked
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 pound pancetta, sliced 1/2 inch thick and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 small red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons small oregano leaves
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. Drizzle the corn with oil and rub to coat thoroughly. Grill over moderate heat, turning often, until lightly charred all over and just tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the corn to a work surface and when cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cobs.
- In a large, deep skillet, combine the pancetta and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the water evaporates, about 4 minutes. Fry the pancetta, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet.
- Add the garlic and red peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the corn and vinegar and cook briefly to heat through. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the oregano leaves, transfer to a bowl and serve.
The grilled corn kernels can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.